Connect with us

STYLE

Real reason Cristiano Ronaldo left Juventus revealed

Published

on

By

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) champion, Khabib Nurmagomedov, has provided the real reason Cristiano Ronaldo left Juventus for Manchester United.

The UFC icon said Ronaldo told him he was ‘bored’ at the Italian giants in a conversation they had before the Portugal captain moved back to Manchester United.

The 36-year-old former Real Madrid attacker re-signed for the Red Devils last week, signing a two-year deal and could make his second debut this weekend against Newcastle.

Khabib claimed the move did not come as a surprise to him due to a chat he had with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner earlier in the summer.

Advertisement

“A month ago, he told me that he was moving to Manchester United,” he told reporters at the New Knowledge Marathon in Moscow.

“I expected this deal to take place. I think that Manchester United is more suitable for him than Juventus. For me, the transition was not a surprise.”

During an interview with RT Sport MMA this week, Khalib revealed new details of the chat, saying, “I wouldn’t like to reveal our private chat. Well, he told me that he was bored in Italy and that he would like to move to England.

“For real, when I watch Italian football… I am not a big fan of it. English football, on the contrary, I would never switch it off.

“No matter which team is playing, it’s always a spectacle.”

Advertisement

Asked whether he thinks Ronaldo is better than Lionel Messi, Khabib replied: “Yes, I do.

“Well, Messi plays very well, too. He is one of the best players ever. I think they are on the same level skill-wise, but Cristiano has more charisma.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

STYLE

UN told Nigeria’s failure to deal with diversity root of Biafra crisis

Published

on

By

The United Nations Security Council has been told that the failure of Nigerian leaders to deal with diversity was the root cause of the Biafran crisis.

The person who made the presentation, was South Africa´s former president Thabo Mbeki, who lived in Nigeria for a few years in the late 70s during the anti-apartheid struggle.

Mbeki addressed the UN Security Council on Tuesday and listed African countries, apart from Nigeria, where the failure to deal with diversity was a root cause of conflict.

He blamed the current clashes in Ethiopia´s Tigray region, also on the failure to manage diversity.

Advertisement

Mbeki recalled that the Nigerian government was victorious against secessionist-seeking Biafra 50 years ago and its leaders announced “that they would follow a policy of no victor, no vanquished.”

Looking at the “painful example” of the ongoing conflict between the Ethiopian government and ethnic Tigrayans, Mbeki said, “this is exactly what Ethiopia needs.”

Thabo Mbeki cited “the centrality of failure properly to manage diversity” in the conflicts in Congo, Burundi, Ivory Coast and Sudan.

He pointed to the 2004 report of the Sierra Leone Truth and Reconciliation Commission “which tells the naked truth, that it was as a result of the failure to manage diversity that the country experienced a very costly 11-year war which started in 1991” — and there is a similar failure to manage diversity “in the violent conflict which has been and is still going on in Cameroon.”

France´s U.N. ambassador, Nicolas De Riviere, had some additions.

Advertisement

In the Sahel region stretching across northern Africa between the Atlantic Ocean and the Red Sea, “terrorist groups use differences to stir up hatred between communities,” he said.

And ethnic and religious violence is also prevalent in the Middle East including Iraq, Yemen and Syria.

They spoke at a U.N. Security Council meeting on “Diversity, State Building and the Search for Peace” that was organized by Kenya, which holds the council presidency this month, and chaired by its president, Uhuru Kenyatta.

“The key message I wish to deliver today is that poor management of diversity is leading to grave threats to international peace and security,” Kenyatta said.

He said inequality within and between countries “is too often the result of exclusion on the basis of identity” that becomes institutionalized in governments and in economic relations.

Advertisement


“And it manifests in stereotyping and bigotry,” leading among other consequences to lack of work for billions of people simply based on who they are, he said.

“The result is a profound sense of grievance and bitterness that populists and demagogues can easily exploit,” Kenyatta said.

“It is fodder for terrorism, insurgencies, the rise of xenophobia, hate speech, divisive tribalism, as well as racism.”

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres cited a U.N.-World Bank study that found “many conflicts are deeply rooted in longstanding inequalities among groups,” which leave people feeling excluded and marginalized because they are denied opportunities based on their culture, race, skin colour, ethnicity or income.

He pointed to the sharp increase in armed groups at the heart of conflicts — “rebels, insurgents, militias, criminal gangs and armed trafficking, terrorist and extremist groups” — as well as a rise in military coups.

Advertisement

While combatants can agree to end hostilities, Guterres warned, “without including a wide range of diverse voices at every step of this process — without bringing all people along — any peace will be short-lived.”

He said that women and young people must be “meaningful participants” and that “when we open the door to inclusion and participation, we take a giant step forward in conflict prevention and peacebuilding.”

Fawzia Koofi, the first woman to be deputy speaker of Afghanistan´s Parliament who left the country after the Taliban takeover on Aug. 15, said her country is the latest test of whether the global community can come together to uphold the principles of the U.N. Charter, including promoting the rule of law, justice and equality for men and women.

“There are serious reports that fundamental freedoms are being flouted,” she said.

“Women and girls are once again regarded as second-class citizens, literally. They are making us invisible again … (and) thousands of people from religious minorities and other minority groups are forced to flee their villages.”

Advertisement

Koofi said the Afghan situation shows how the imbalance in power is “at the roots of so much conflict and inequality.”

Rwandan President Paul Kagame, whose country was the scene of genocide in 1994 in which 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus were massacred by the majority Hutu population., said sustainable peace can only be built if the root causes of conflict are understood by a broad range of the population, and it requires dialogue and search for solutions.

“It may not be possible to entirely prevent all conflict,” he said. “In fact, disagreements and grievances will always be there in one form or another. But the intensity and the impact of conflicts can be minimized by remaining attentive to local needs” and delivering “the results that citizens expect and deserve.”

Continue Reading

STYLE

Gov Masari kicks against indiscriminate release of bandits, rapists on bail

Published

on

By

Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State has frowned at what he called the indiscriminate release of suspected bandits, rapists and other criminals on bail by the courts.

Masari made this assertion shortly after the swearing in of three newly appointed high court judges in Katsina State, NAN reports.

The Governor called on the Nigerian Bar Association to implore its members that are in the habit of supporting criminals to secure bail through the instrument of fundamental right enforcement to be ethical and avoid compromise under cover.

“We are in an unusual time of serious security challenges and must therefore put heads together to address these unusual challenges.

Advertisement

“We have had incidents where suspected bandits, terrorists, armed robbers and rapists were released on bail only for them to commit the same offence.

“Such ugly incidents could have been averted if bail was not granted at all”, the Governor said.

“The overriding objective of every legal system, he said, is to deliver justice which is the best pivot and pillar that upholds the very best of decency and the best guarantee for peace, prosperity and good governance.

“The age long adage that Justice delayed is Justice denied, has been a thing of concern to the government.

“Thus there is the need to address the speed of justice among all stakeholders in the justice sector.

Advertisement

“It was in response to the Justice Sector Reform in the state that the state Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) 2019 and the state Penal Code Law, 2019 were repealed and replaced with the new laws of 2021,” he said.

The Governor noted that the new laws addressed the shortcomings observed in the 2019 law.

He further stressed that, with this development, all actors and stakeholders in the Justice sector will now work towards a coordinated approach to ensure speedy disposition of criminal cases which involves arrest, investigation and prosecution’.

Masari said the state government was seriously disturbed over the trend of blame shifting by the justice sector actors.

Masari therefore directed the state’s monitoring and coordination committee to discharge its statutory mandate by ensuring that all criminal cases are handled with deserved dispatch.

Advertisement

He further urged the committee to ensure that the ugly trend of releasing suspects with prima-facie records of crimes on bail is checked.

He further urged the new judges to consider their appointment as a call to duty that requires more dedication, professionalism and above all the fear of God.

Continue Reading

STYLE

Anthony Joshua’s rematch with Usyk officially confirmed

Published

on

By

Anthony Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, has confirmed that he has triggered his rematch clause with Oleksandr Usyk.

The fight is expected to take place in March next year.

Usyk has already said he would like to defend his newly-won titles in Ukraine.

However, Hearn has claimed that the rematch will take place in the UK.

Advertisement

Joshua lost his WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO belts to Usyk via a unanimous decision last week.

“Today we officially triggered the rematch for the Oleksandr Usyk fight, which we’ll see early next spring.

“Back in the game and we’re looking for him to become three-time world champion.

“A few niggles in camp for AJ, Usyk had a bad cut, it’s officially triggered, we’ll sit down with K2 Promotions and I think March is when you’ll see that fight.

“This was a disappointing loss to a pound-for-pound great. We don’t need to get back in the game with 10-rounders, he needs to rip those belts off Usyk,” Hearn told DAZN.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Trending