In his first ever recognition by Fortune Magazine, the Chairman of Dangote Group, Aliko Dangote, has been ranked the eleventh World’s Greatest Leaders for 2019.
With his eleventh position out of the 50 other leaders on the list, Africa’s richest man is the only Nigerian on the list; clinching a significant position among other world leaders.
Dangote was considered to be among those transforming the world and inspiring others to do so in business, government, philanthropy and the arts.
“GREAT LEADERS NEVER KNOW FOR SURE IF THEIR PLANS WILL WORK, BUT THEY PLUNGE AHEAD ANYWAY. THAT’S WHY WE RECOGNIZE SHEER AUDACITY, WELL-INTENDED, EVEN IF THE RESULTS AREN’T KNOWN AND EVEN IF THE PLANS AREN’T UNIVERSALLY APPLAUDED … THESE THINKERS, SPEAKERS, AND DOERS MAKE BOLD CHOICES AND TAKE BIG RISKS- AND MOVE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME,” THE MAGAZINE SAID.
Dangote’s wealth portfolio: According to Bloomberg, Aliko Dangote has a net-worth of $16.4 billion. This makes him the richest man in Africa. Interestingly, Dangote’s four quoted companies which are all under the Dangote Group, now account for about a third of the value of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE).
Back to the ranking – the top ten: The top 10 greatest men and women, according to Fortune Magazine, include the followings:
- Bill and Melinda Gates
- Jacinda Arden (Prime Minister, New Zealand)
- Robert Mueller (Special Counsel, Department of Justice)
- Pony Ma (Founder and CEO, Tencent)
- Satya Nadella (CEO, Microsoft)
- Greta Thunberg (Student and climate activist, Sweden)
- Margrethe Vestager (Commissioner for Competition, European Union)
- Anna Nimiriano (Editor-in-Chief, Juba Monitor)
- Jose Andres (Chef/Founder, World Central Kitchen)
- Dough Mcmillon and Lisa Woods (CEO; Senior Director, Strategy & Design for U.S. Benefits, Walmart).
About the Rating: The rating for the World’s Greatest Leaders for 2019 was carried out by Fortune Magazine, an American multinational business magazine headquartered in New York City, United States.
The rating is published with a focus on global businesses, and how their owners have used them to impact their society positively.
Source: Daily Post