More than 300 persons on Saturday were rendered homeless in Yenagoa, after fire gutted a neighbourhood in Ekeki suburb of the Bayelsa capital. The inferno, which occurred at about 2a.m. on this morning, also destroyed valuables worth millions of naira. The cause of the fire has not been ascertained. Residents of the affected area located behind the Ekeki Divisional Police Station said they lost to the fire, items such as generator sets, television sets, bales of fabrics, huge sums of money and phones, among others. However, no life was lost in the fire mishap.
One of the residents, who gave his name simply as Nicholas, suspected that the fire might have been caused by a candle as there was no electricity supply when the incident occurred. He said that firemen who arrived at the scene in three vehicles stopped the fire from spreading to the Ekeki Police Station. “It happened this morning, some minutes to 2a.m. We have not slept since then till now. Three fire-fighting vehicles came and stopped the fire. If not it could have entered the police station.