Borno State Commissioner of Police, Damian Chukwu, confirmed yesterday that six soldiers and four policemen were killed in Rann, when Boko Haram attacked last week. It was the first official disclosure of casualties the security forces suffered in the attack that killed three aid workers. The three victims worked for the United Nations at Rann’s displaced persons camp. Two other female workers are believed to have been abducted by the terror group. While giving details of its losses, the UN also said eight members of the Nigerian security forces were killed But the CP Chukwu said the toll was higher.
“During the attack on Rann, six soldiers died and we lost four policemen,” he told journalists at a press conference, but declined to give further details. Meanwhile, the police in Borno have issued a 21-day for residents with illegal arms to surrender them or risk arrest and prosecution. Mr. Chukwu who gave the directive while addressing senior police officers said it was the direct order of the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, in view of the escalation of armed communal conflict across the country. He said any person found with such arms would be dealt with in with laws of the land.
“We must brace up to our responsibilities, so that it does happen again. That was how 276 Chibok schoolgirls were abducted by in April 14, 2014. “The members of the public are to cooperate with police ensure that the directive of IG is complied with without rancour,” he said. Meanwhile, the House of Representatives has urged the Federal Government to appeal to the UN and Doctors Without Borders, also known as Medicines Sans Frontiers (MSF) to return to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp in Rann, and other parts of Bama, Ngala, Kala-Balge Federal Constituency of Borno State.